We are Bread SRSLY, makers of wildly nourishing, SERIOUSLY delicious, gluten-free and vegan sourdough bread in Berkeley, CA. Our mission is to reunite people with sourdough when they thought good bread was off the table. We bake thousands of loaves of bread each week and ship them all over the US to eager gluten-free eaters. We value organic ingredients, sustainable business practices, livable wages, fun in the workplace, and meaningful relationships with our staff, our vendors and our customers.
We are looking for a people-centric HR Manager to join our team. Our ideal candidate is a culture-builder with strong interpersonal relationships and a values-driven leadership style. They are a seasoned HR professional with experience working with a bilingual workforce. They are a champion for Diversity and Inclusion. They are a master of documentation and compliance, fluent in current local, state and federal employment regulations.
The HR Manager will be directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the Human Resources function. They will provide coaching and guidance on company HR programs and initiatives, and lead the creation of the same. They will be a leader in developing action plans and advising on decisions related to staff and policy. They will be an advocate for our staff and will help them find the support they need within our workplace.
The HR Manager will be a coach and an ally to others in the workplace, and a force of real, positive change within our organization. We are looking for someone values-aligned, who is ready to take our organization to the next level of fairness, kindness and humanness, and make Bread SRSLY an even better place for its employees. This full-time exempt position reports directly to the CEO.
The HR Manager will:
- Lead the HR Department, including hiring and supervising future department staff
- Audit and improve current HR policies, programs, systems, documentation, etc.
- Author and implement new HR policies, programs, systems, documentation, etc.
- Ensure that Bread SRSLY is compliant with local, state and federal employment regulations
- Make decisions, create and lead action plans, document and report on cases as needed
- Lead cases to resolution, and follow up with stakeholders
- Be a main point of contact for HR-related issues including legal correspondence, worker’s compensation, employment references and unemployment claims
- Reimagine, lead, and train others on Bread SRSLY’s Onboarding and Training Practices
- Collaborate on, implement, and perform leadership trainings for Bread SRSLY supervisors
- Participate in activities related to Hiring, Performance Reviews, Disciplinary Actions, Terminations, Performance Improvement Plans, etc.
- Continuously audit and improve company culture to create a great employee experience
- Advise on hiring and employment practices including compensation and wage bands, benefits packages, organizational structure, job descriptions, training plans, employee files, schedules, performance evaluations and reviews, etc.
- Author and administer surveys to monitor employee engagement, satisfaction, etc.
- Maintain and update employee handbook and related documents and training rosters
- Perform benefits administration including claims resolution, change reporting, evaluating vendors and policies, and assisting employees with registration and paperwork
- Audit and improve Bread SRSLY’s HR software
- Assist with hiring including posting jobs, screening candidates, calling references, conducting interviews, documenting hiring decisions, and managing hiring paperwork
- Assist with terminations including conducting, witnessing, and completing exit paperwork
- Lead and improve our exit interview process
- Maintain department records and reports, and manage KPIs
- Be available to all staff regularly and by request
- Practice Active and Generous listening
- Compensate for their own implicit biases and assumptions, and coach others on the same
- Participate in meetings including check-ins, Staff Meetings, and Leadership Book Club
- Lead HR transitions as Bread SRSLY crosses size thresholds for number of employees, etc.
- Attend outside trainings and functions, and perform other duties as assigned
- At least 2 years of experience in a Human Resources role
- Conflict Resolution training
- Conversational Spanish
- Experience authoring and implementing a new HR policy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Google or Microsoft Suites
- PC fluency
- Experience supervising at least 1 direct report
- Fluent Spanish
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Experience leading a company toward B-Corp Certification or working at a B-Corp
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits
- 5 paid company holidays
- Paid vacation
- Great coworkers
- Delicious gluten-free sourdough bread
This position pays $54,080 - 65,000 depending on experience.
Please let them know you heard about it from Luke’s Circle